||RIDE ON RAILWAYS
Tel 01708 374468
|Looking for Second
|These links are placed with no recommendation.
- Antique Steam - 3.5"-7.25" gauge engines and associated bits.
- Compass House - sometimes has a selection of second hand items - call for
- REGULAR UPDATES.
- Preston Services - mainly large steam - website more look at what we
sold than current stock
- Station Road Steam - Large collection of various secondhand
items of all miniature gauges + traction engines up to 1:1 - REGULAR
- Steamdays - Select locomotives mainly 5"
- Steam Workshop
- The Engineers Emporium - best to call as website ran out of steam years
- View Models - small independent company trading in live
steam models in the model engineering scales.
above list is just that, a list. We do business with Station Road Steam
and Maxitrak but beyond that I make no recommendations.
The strength of a good retailer is one who takes responsibility
Buy from a reputable dealer and preferably on a credit card.
Having bought items off ebay I have been caught out myself.
- Do not assume current certificates are genuine. See if there is a history of certificates.
- "Museum quality" models are in museums. "Runs
like a dream" - stated on an ebay listing with a boiler with un
soldered stays. "Built by a great engineer" - everyones dad is great.
- Look at the wheels - They should have a slope
on them (coning) and the flange has a radius. They should look
proportionally right. Many home builds fall over at this stage which
sets the standard for the rest of the build. Excessively worn wheels
also show the model may be expired.
- Ideally see the item. At very least this shows they have it.
- If it is steam then get some agreement about
passing hydraulic test or treat the boiler as scrap. To bring a boiler
under club scheme may require the boiler to be fully inspected. Be
prepared to strip the loco down.
- Boiler making is a very skilful art. There are
many that believe that they have mastered the art but often their work
- Does the seller have the right to sell it?
If you are after a steam locomotive
I can recommend two manufacturers.
|Polly Model Engineering.
Build a 5" gauge steam
locomotive from what effectively is a bolt together kit. You will learn
everything about the locomotive as you build it which leaves you with
the knowledge on how to look after the locomotive.
DO NOT BUY SECONDHAND
if you can afford a Polly Kit.
Polly's have a good
reputation for easy to steam, efficient and good haulers.
Polly Model owners club - home of many happy owners
|Station Road Steam
of the 5", 7
1/4" & 10 1/4"gauge Stafford locomotive. Station Road Steam's ready
to run locos (and in kit form) are many in number now and the range is
going from strength to strength. If you want hassle free steaming with
out being reliant of the local clubs experts, then you can't get better
Station Road Steam
also have a good reputation in dealing with secondhand locomotives and
|Suppliers of Rail
We are able to supply 5" and 7 1/4" gauge 10m track packs + 12' radius
points in 16 or 21mm aluminium rail. If have more complex track
requirements then some of the links below may be able to help.
- Cromar White - Supplier of rail and supplier of all
equipment for the larger scale enthusiast. UK agent for Roll Models - Holyhead
- Maxitrak hold some track in stock + manufacture
point kits - Kent
- PNP Railways - Paul Norman Plastics - Supplier of
aluminium rail, injection moulded plastic sleeper system including
plastic chairs which can be used with timber sleepers. Also
supplier of 5" & 7.25" gauge items including vacuum brake system.
- The Miniature
Railway Supply Co. Limited. Supplier of track materials, points (kit and
assembled) + numerous items of signaling and track side fittings
through their Scaleway Signalling range. Telephone, Fax &
Answerphone: 01442 214702 evening calls welcome. Hertfordshire
/ services that may be of interest
Electronic Controllers - Detailed website with good technical
information on their products - Mail order only.
- Parkside Electronics/Railways - supplier of electronic controllers,
gears, motors, chain + loads more.
- Walker Midgley Insurance Brokers Ltd Provider of insurance
for model engineers and garden railways. www.walkermidgley.co.uk
- Health and
Safety - Safe operation of miniature
railways, traction engines and road vehicles
- Technobots - good site for
gears, chains and an eye of the latest in radio controlled robots
- Trax Controls - Exception value sound systems -
diesel, horns, steam whistle and a chuff unit available.
I have listed a few links which I use and I hope you may find
interesting and in no way are any kind of recommendation. I get
requests to put up reciprocal links. It is not that they wouldn't be
interesting but I simply do not have time to keep these pages up to
Ride on Railways Ltd